Monday, April 18, 2011

El Basha Mediterranean Grill

7503 Pacific Street (in the shopping strip with Spirit World)
Omaha, NE 68114
(402) 934-6266
Open Monday thru Saturday, 11am to 9pm, closed Sunday
http://elbashagrill.com

Do you know about döners? The sandwich made with the meat that spins on the big thing in the restaurant window and is shaved off by a dude with a big knife? Yeah, those. Most of my experience is with the Turkish version in Germany, but they come in all shapes and sizes, different breads and different meats from different animals and they're called different things. Gyro, shawarma, kebab, etc. In my opinion the best way to end your night out is by shoving one of these down your gullet. I think I must have had hundreds of döners in the past couple of years. The search has been on for the best döner (or döner-like meal) since I arrived in Omaha. The winner, so far, is to be found at El Basha. The Gyro, an open-faced version served on (mediocre) pita covered in tzatziki sauce and topped with fresh onions, tomatoes and herbs, was tasty, but the real star is the Beef Shawarma Wrap. Big enough for two, and filled with thinly sliced meat, grilled tomatoes, pickles, onions, and tahini sauce, this is very close to the "real deal" shawarma I often ate in Berlin. The pickles are key.

We both made our sandwiches combos by adding (mediocre) fries and a drink, and it wound up being way too much food for two people, so I suggest splitting. They are constructing more outdoor seating off to the side of the building (they currently have three tables overlooking traffic-y Midtown Pacific Street), and you can also partake in some hookah, if that's your thing. I only regret ignoring the baba ghanoush, hummus, and falafel in favor of the fleish-filled dishes. Next time, next time (perhaps tomorrow).

Gyros

Beef Shawarma Wrap

Second visit: 
Fresh and filling. Enough for two to have as an entree, really. 
Mezza Mix Plate with Hummus, Baba Ghanuje, Falafel and Taboule

3 comments:

  1. Ahh I forgot all about the doner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place has some of the best salad I have ever eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a fellow East Coaster I totally agree. The mezza is the best. The tabouli is alway fresh and delicious and varies but I am never disappointed!

    ReplyDelete