Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Petrow's Restaurant

5914 Center Street
Omaha, NE 68106
(402) 551-0552
Open breakfast, lunch and dinner, 6am to 9:30pm, closed Sunday
www.petrows.com

Pecan Pie--
Glorious gooey center

One time when I first moved to Omaha I found myself in the backseat of a vehicle in which the operator of said vehicle had just smoked a lot of weed. Without much of a choice I found myself in the parking lot of Petrow's, while the driver procured a slice of pie to go. The pie, he said, was bangin'. I nodded, checking again to see if my seatbelt was fastened. The only thing worse than Omaha drivers are Omaha drivers who are high.

This memory clamored at the back of my mind every time I thought about trying this place: Pie that feels good in a cottony mouth, sliding like velvet over recently burnt taste buds. But as it turns out, the pie is a worthy sober snack as well. In fact, it was the last thing I ate in 2011, trading my champagne buzz for a sugar rush. The clientele was actually not quite as old as dirt, and the vibe was jovial.  I ordered the Seafood Chowder, despite the fact that "seafood" is usually synonymous with "scraps of fish that are about to go bad." In this case I found the thick, creamy base and bits of clam (?) quite enjoyable. The fried fish sandwich only dripped a little bit of grease, and was coated in a fluffy tempura-like batter. The hot beef sandwich, with pliable white bread drenched in gummy brown gravy, made my dining buddy remark that if he was 65, he'd be "totally into it." I imagine it'd be good for denture wearers.

Our server gloated that everything, including the pie and ice cream, is made in the basement. I will be hitting up this place again, now that I know you don't have to be high as a kite to enjoy it.

Seafood Chowder--
Exactly which "seafoods" it was remains a mystery, but tasty nonetheless.

Oddly-shaped Fish Sandwich

Would you like some hot beef sandwich with your gravy?

2 comments:

  1. "Made in the basement" does not sound appealing. This is diner food, and not terrific. Beware of their brownies... quite disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shakes are tasty

    ReplyDelete